Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Quick and Easy Smoothie

Since having my daughter Lilly, there are very few times when I can sit and enjoy a full meal.  Remember that line in Christmas story, "My mother hasn't had a hot meal in 15 years?"  Well, I now understand why.

And forget about cooking anything too complicated.  It's impossible to spend too much time chopping and prepping with a 3 month old on my hip.

So, I was intrigued by the whole juicing craze thats going on right now.  There are lots of variations, but I need to have something to bite into.  Committing to any sort of fast just wouldn't work for me.

Then, one of my favorite sites, Skinny Taste, posted a recipe for the Green Monster Smoothie and I thought that maybe I could use that on the days where I just don't have time to sit and eat something healthy.  I have to be honest, the look and the list of ingredients made me cringe a little but I gave it a whirl anyway.

And you know what?

It's actually GOOD.  You don't even taste the spinach but you get all the nutrition it offers.  My toddler even tried it and liked it!  (Don't worry, she ate a normal lunch but she just had to try my green drink!)

My husband wasn't a fan but he apparently doesn't like the taste of peanut butter (crazy!) so yesterday I omitted the peanut butter and threw in bananas and strawberries.... DELISH!

I'm glad I gave it a try and hopefully will be experimenting with different fruits and veggies.  If you're looking for some great recipe ideas that are low fat and diet friendly, I definitely recommend Skinny Taste.  Almost everything I've tried has been good but my favorites are the Chicken Rollatini and Ricotta Muffins.... mmmmmm!

What are your 'go to' recipes?  Do you have a favorite recipe site?

1 comment:

  1. ok, so you got me wanting to try the smoothie kick :) and I just returned from the store so I might have to wait two weeks to try it!

    ReplyDelete